As the Washington Sustainable Food & Farming Network we spent 20 years advocating and supporting sustainable food and farming in Washington.
Collective Impact / Collaboration
- Created and stewarded the Good Food Coalition: a broad array of food, farming, public health, anti-hunger, social equity organizations and individuals.
Public Education / Thought Leadership
Promoted public education and critical analysis of the use of biotechnology in agriculture by hosting a forum on genetically modified foods in agriculture.
Acted as the “go to” voice for consumer-based sustainable agriculture. Former acting member of the WSU Center for Sustaining Agriculture and the Natural Resources advisory committee.
- Member, National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition
- Frequent adviser to Washington State Department of Agriculture for organic and sustainable agriculture
- Member, Alliance for Clean Energy and Jobs
Farm to School
Acted as the state’s leader in the creation and implementation of Farm to School programs. The WSFFN helped to strengthen local and regional food communities by increasing school purchasing of sustainably grown food from Washington growers while helping state farmers gain access to school markets.
Policy Development / Advocacy
- Successfully created, in partnership with the Washington State Farmers Market Association and farmers markets, taxable revenue exemption for nonprofit organizations that host farmers markets.
- Led efforts to create and pass the 2008 Local Farms/Healthy Kids Act
- Created, organized and lead efforts to establish funding for Biologically Intensive Organic Agriculture program at Washington State University
- Successfully advocated for the creation of the Small Farm and Direct Marketing Program at the Washington Department of Agriculture
- Lead efforts promoting policy changes at Washington’s Department of Health to allow low-income moms enrolled in the Women’s Infants and Children (WIC) program to purchase organic food in grocery stores with WIC coupons
- Acted as a leader in Washington to halt the sale of genetically modified alfalfa seed
- Secured, in partnership with the Center for Sustaining Agriculture and Natural Resources (WSU), $1million in federal funds to develop Biologically Intensive Agriculture and Organic farming program
- Served as the state coordinator to stop the commercialization of genetically modified (“Round up Ready”) wheat.
United States Farm Bill
- Acted as the organizational lead and fiscal sponsor of the Northwest Farm Bill Action Group